News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Waves Plug-In Workshop by Barry Wood  (Read 2875 times)

May 11, 2011, 06:47:42 PM
I've recently had a book published about mixing with Waves plug-ins called Waves Plug-In Workshop: Mixing By The Bundle

Each chapter covers a different Waves bundle, starting withe the Musicians 2 bundle and progressing up through the Mercury bundle.

The first half of each chapter goes into detail about the new plug-ins introduced in that bundle. I also spend time talking about specific signal processing and mixing concepts as they are introduced by new plug-ins so that the book would be accessible to beginning engineers too.

The second half of each chapter talks about how to apply those plug-ins to a mix. You can download all of the individual tracks for a song I produced specifically for the book. Between those tracks and the downloadable Waves preset files you can get hands-on experience by following along.

I think this fits in really well with the MixOff ethos.

There is more info on the book up at Amazon.

May 11, 2011, 07:45:29 PM
Very cool, congrats on the book!

Do you feel like the book would benefit people who don't have the Waves bundle? Are the examples specific to the plugs, to where someone using others wouldn't get any new info, or is there enough explanation of underlying concepts to be extrapolated to other plugs?

May 11, 2011, 07:58:57 PM
Thanks John :)

The first several chapters would really be applicable to mixing with any similar plug-ins. The concepts and applications are pretty universal. The later chapters get more into the differences between the sounds between similar plug-ins, such as the difference between Q10 and the API plug-ins.

Waves does offer a 7-day demo for their entire suite of plug-ins so a reader could work through the book and be able to listen to each example and A/B the plug-ins.

• No avatar
August 09, 2011, 03:46:47 AM

The first several chapters would really be applicable to mixing with any similar plug-ins. The concepts and applications are pretty universal. The later chapters get more into the differences between the sounds between similar plug-ins, such as the difference between Q10 and the API plug-ins.

Waves does offer a 7-day demo for their entire suite of plug-ins so a reader could work through the book and be able to listen to each example and A/B the plug-ins.

Hey Barry
have you fixed the tracks not aligning on the 1gb download projects files

( i just read an amazon complain from your book)
just wondering if that was operator error
thanks
Max.

August 09, 2011, 07:17:32 PM

Hey Barry
have you fixed the tracks not aligning on the 1gb download projects files

( i just read an amazon complain from your book)
just wondering if that was operator error
thanks
Max.

They have been fixed. The book was out for several weeks before the publisher got the files up on their website. The same files are available on my server here: http://wavesbook.otheroom.com