News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Mixing Audio by Roey Izhaki  (Read 3655 times)

May 01, 2011, 06:38:24 PM
This book is probably the most technically oriented mixing book I've read, the sections on compression are fantastic, if you want a deeper understanding of how it works, the different topologies, soft knee, knee depth, etc. It also has good treatments of stereo processing, the overall mix contour, etc.

One of my favorite little bits regards the Butch Vig and Andy Wallace mixes of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" both of which are available on iTunes. The Butch Vig is part of the 'With the Lights out' box set. Just comparing the two versions is like a mini course in mixing!

Anybody else dig this book? I didn't mess around with the DVD, it seems the sessions are pro tools, rather than entire WAV multitracks like we use here.

• No avatar
May 02, 2011, 05:39:51 AM
Top book, read it until the pages didn't hold together anymore (they are now carefully placed toghether in order)

Can't remember what the sound files were, but i think you could find them as WAV files. I will have a look when i get home this arvo.

Regardlesss, if you can listen to the sound files, it is a big help so that you can hear the effect of different processing.
Republic of Western Australia

May 02, 2011, 11:53:01 AM
Hi,

I have this book. I read it and now (I am a beginner) I'm reading some parts again while trying to mix some stuffs. The DVD contains all audio examples used in the book, it is very well done.

And moreover it contains 4 songs mixed step by step from raw tracks until final mix - every step being explained in the book (audio contains samples, not full tracks at every step) !I did'nt manage to find time to read one entirely (As a beginner, I think I should first try to mix a little before...), but it looks very interesting.

There is a website : http://www.mixingaudio.com/

• No avatar
May 03, 2011, 10:29:05 AM
I have the PDF if anyone would like a copy...

• No avatar
July 09, 2011, 07:23:33 PM
This book is probably the most technically oriented mixing book I've read, the sections on compression are fantastic, if you want a deeper understanding of how it works, the different topologies, soft knee, knee depth, etc. It also has good treatments of stereo processing, the overall mix contour, etc.

Totally agree! Very relevant mixing tips and descriptions of different mixing tools. Nothing like those mixing DVD showing a seasoned mixing engineer/producer sitting in front of an SSL desk talking about the good old days.

Anybody else dig this book? I didn't mess around with the DVD, it seems the sessions are pro tools, rather than entire WAV multitracks like we use here.

Haven't listen to the DVD either, but the four multitrack session are probably great if you need some practice. I own most books about mixing and "Mixing Audio" is the best one. Buy it if you want to know more about the mixing process!!!

A good compliment is "The Mixing Engineer's Handbook, Second Edition" by Bobby Owsinski. It doesn't contain as much deep technical information at "Mixing Audio" but the information provided is very direct and a good starting point. The second half of the book contains interviews with big mixing engineers. Interesting when you have got some experience of mixing.

The third book is a must-read, "Mastering Audio", Bob Katz. Very interesting book for all of you interesting in mixing, mastering or the audio process in general.

Cheers
Frederick
Sound On Sound contributor

www.ninja.se

• No avatar
August 26, 2011, 02:14:33 AM
this is one of my 2 fav books on mixing.

the audio i got was in waves. and i ripped it all to samplitude sessions.

been i while but i really liked the talk on iterative approach (totally true), that big time mixers are payed for vision not technical ability, and the audio is super super helpful imo. hearing is really the only way to describe music.

August 30, 2011, 04:08:25 PM
I've been in the chapter on compressors for months. Great book.

February 18, 2013, 12:39:31 PM
This is the first book on mixing I ever read. Great book, but with hindsight I wouldn't recommend it as a primer since it's pretty technical.

August 22, 2013, 11:21:45 PM
I've been reading it for about a month now and I'm really diggin it! It is a great book for someone with a little understanding already. If you have a little bit of basic understanding it will help really boost that understanding. But as others have mentioned it's not really a primer.

Also, just a note: It does not come with a DVD anymore. You have to download the audio files from a companion web site (which leaves a lot to be desired!) But oh well, I think that's the way things are going, they can save a lot by not having to supply a DVD.