News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio by Mike Senior  (Read 7142 times)

• No avatar
August 26, 2011, 02:10:06 AM
this one and mixing audio are my 2 fav mixing books. both are well worth whatever they cost.

off the top of my head...liked all the talk about comb filtering (it's not just monitoring yo), time and pitch correction, the often uselessness of grids for time correcting live performances, the various effects of reverbs, monitoring on a budget. there is a lot of good stuff i didn't know in there.

i do wish he described compression a bit different. it's a bit more then quick volume changes. i wish he got to automation earlier. i think it deserves a higher rank.

i've yet to build a mix per the book. but probably will soon.

• No avatar
September 11, 2011, 11:33:43 PM
Very good book. A desk reference

On timing fixes and automation to some degree

If humans are playing it and it is not meant to be super tight or perfect and/or something hits you as amiss leave it alone.  Human emotion is conveyed through attack, volume, timing etc.  Fix obvious errors or discontinuities and leave the rest.

Listen to Miles Davis Kind of Blue. Each song was done with only a couple takes. No overdubs, punches etc.  There are parts where it's obvious things are not perfect. But it is recorded very well and you can hear awesome musicians who are human. (Try Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions too. Given it is one mic and in a church I would imagine most of it is live with few touch ups. Amazing)
Equipment-Trends Micro amp w/ Paradigm Export speakers ports covered.  Use Fx EQ for  studio room issue fix.  Also use Klipsch S4 & Sennheiser HD-280 phones - home stereo= AMC 3030 tube amp, Triangle Celius 202 speakers & Behringer para EQ for room nodes-laptop=HP 8430 w/Digigram VXPocket & Reaper

February 18, 2013, 12:37:35 PM
I've found this book invaluable. It's not only had a hugely positive effect on my workflow, but it also made me realise how unreliable my monitoring practices were. Before I tried the simple tests he suggests to check my room's bass response I used to spend a lot of time and frustration eqing what I thought were mix problems but were actually speaker artefacts and room resonances. Needless to say, my mixes have benefited greatly as a result.