News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: My FIRST mix posted here guys! PLS give me some feedback on it!  (Read 1150 times)

November 14, 2015, 09:45:55 AM
If you get a chance, wrap your ears around this mix and feel free to share your opinion! I've been mixing ITB for about 5 years now and this is my first mix submission online!

https://soundcloud.com/boil-the-ocean-production/rushford-mile-gettin-gone-paul-douse-remix
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 05:36:49 AM by Paul Douse »
"Procrastination is the thief of time"
Boil the Ocean Production
"Do the Impossible"

• No avatar
January 01, 2016, 07:09:54 PM
Sounds good. But the song may require a better arrangement for a "level up"  imho

• No avatar
January 02, 2016, 04:21:41 AM
Well, I have a few observations and suggestions.  In general I hear several instruments fighting for the same low mid range.  Cutting some slots for each instruments to cut through would probably add a lot of clarity.  I find the drums too far down.  The kick could use some parallel compression of the squeezed click to make it cut through.   The bass is hard to find so some parallel compression would help it stand out  too. The snare should also be processed to cut through more.  The rhythm guitar is too dominant and should be softened.  Push out the vocal in the chorus.  Using some volume automation to feature the banjo and lead guitar where they are prominent would add some interest. 

January 19, 2016, 04:39:59 PM
Hi Paul! Firstly what a brilliant song and a brilliant band! It must have been a pleasure to mix their work.
Regarding your mix, I would tend to agree with jimi1969 about bringing the drums (though not the overheads) out a bit more. I would like to hear more punch on the kick and a bit more snap on the snare. Parallel compression could be a good way to go, but if that doesn't quite bring them out, something like Stillwell Audio's Transient Monster might find that lost energy. The banjo could also come up just a dB or two more, and the bass might also benefit from a hint of transient attack massaging. But my main comment would be that I love the mix apart from the huge amount of high end. I know my monitors are pretty bright, but playing this, it has the classic "mixer who spent 4 hours listening too loud" symptom of having too much top end sparkle. It probably sounds great on a small stereo, but might have hi-fi users reaching for the treble knob. Looking forward to hearing more of Rushford Mile :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 08:36:04 PM by Graham Blacksmith »

April 12, 2016, 12:00:34 PM
Very cool tune! I also agree that there are some tonal balance issues (that can be easily adjusted). For years I was afraid of low end, thinking I had to high-pass EVERYTHING to get a "clean" sound. I suspect that's what's happening here. Don't be afraid of that low end. The high end is probably fine as is, it just needs to be balanced out by having the low and low mids pushed back in. Another thing that I've only started seriously adding to every mix is automation. If there's a section where the cymbals are dominating the mix (like the guitar solo), add some simple automation and pull the back to let the guitars breathe. Other than that, I think you're on a really good path! :)
Chris
Drummer, Songwriter, Recording/Mixing Engineer
--
Mac | UA Apollo 8p | Studio One Pro v3.2 | Eris E5 | Slate Digital Everything Bundle