News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: My first scream metal mix (Dreaming Reality by Changing Tides)  (Read 820 times)

• No avatar
July 19, 2015, 03:03:57 PM
Hi,

I just did my first recording and mix of a scream metal song performed by Changing Tides. Hopefully not too bad, but for my feeling it needs further improvement. Thus, all comments are welcome. The more specific the better.

I will make the raw tracks available at http://skippystudio.mine.nu/foswiki/MyMixes/WebHome
thanks,
Antoine

July 20, 2015, 08:40:58 AM
Hi,

first of all, you want to pan the rhythm guitars hard (or almost hard) left and right. There isn't really any way around this if you want that big, commercial sound. This will make the mix wider, bigger and makes space for the vocals, bass, kick and snare in the middle. If you have this, we can see what else can be improved.

• No avatar
July 20, 2015, 07:01:30 PM
Hi
Thanks for the comment. In fact, I had both guitars panned to left/right but the band didn't like it. I will make the mix again and post it here.
antoine

• No avatar
July 20, 2015, 07:54:31 PM
Here it is with guitars panned left/right and some other minor changes

Antoine

• No avatar
July 30, 2015, 05:01:41 PM
Final mix

• No avatar
August 04, 2015, 07:11:41 AM
One more thing about guitars
It's an easy trick to do - just record a rhythm parts twice at least and then pan it as wide as you want.
Second... Did you recorded the drums or they was sampled? I would like to do something with a snare drum tone.
And... It seems like there has to be a little more of a bottom-end in this mix. Maybe kick sub should help, maybe bass, or they should work together just to reach a bigger tightness in a lower freq range.

August 04, 2015, 08:09:03 AM
Antoine
Basically what Padraig said. Arrangement is actually more important than mixing. I think the overall balances in your final mix are good. The vocals need some volume automation to better sit in the mix. For a more commercial/polished sound, you need to dig deeper and work on the processing of the individual tracks, EQ mostly.

• No avatar
August 05, 2015, 05:10:48 AM
Hi
Thanks again for the comments. The drums were sampled:bfd3.  I will look again at the other issues.
Antoine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• No avatar
August 05, 2015, 06:34:00 AM
BFD 3
Don't know anything about their improvements since BFD 2. But when I tried to apply'em once or twice to my own tracks - it was tough, man. I prefer something like SSD or Toontrack for a such kind of musical genre.
It doesn't mean that you have to dash and buy all these expensive toys, but I would like to recommend you to pay attention for that.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 06:36:26 AM by Padraig »

• No avatar
August 05, 2015, 02:54:11 PM
Yep, there are many good alternatives. But lack both the time and money to try them all.........