News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Rate my mix  (Read 654 times)

• No avatar
May 28, 2015, 10:02:10 AM
hey guys just looking for another pair of ears to take a listen to this track i am mixing https://www.dropbox.com/s/2qwzr4zu888eogg/anthem%202.mp3?dl=0

• No avatar
May 28, 2015, 06:34:48 PM
Hi ChrisRankinMixing,

had a good listen to your mix you uploaded. I can't really fault it, it is both arranged and mixed very well to my ears. I am listening on headphones, so a better assessment might be made if I was playing it on my main recording monitors, but I listen to a lot of mixes here on my headphones, and to my ear your mix was well balanced tonally. The arrangement was also well done, use of the various parts vocally and instrumentally were very good, panning choices also were good.

The only suggestion is to trim your audio at the start - there was about 10 seconds of silence at the start. I know the song was uploaded here just for feedback, but I always make it a habit to make sure any track has no leading silence, and that the ending is clean as well (fade-outs done right), whenever I put tracks out to anyone, anytime. Apart from that I can't give you anything in the way of suggestions apart from the fact that it sounded very good to my ears here.

Oh, ok, one suggestion or observation - the mix doesn't sound too compressed, but I did notice compression overall, and particularly on the guitar at the start and on the drums, most noticeably at the start. I also note that this is pre-master, running around -15.6RMS.. my point is that the mix works, is not over compressed, but to achieve commercial volume (at around -10 or -9 RMS) you will need a very transparent compressor and limiter, so as not to have a master that will sound overcompressed. I'd look at automation as an complement to compression, where you are doing so, in this mix.

Cheers.
Justin

• No avatar
May 31, 2015, 11:07:37 AM
hey jsljustin, thanks for taking the time to have a listen to my mix. I am glad you like the song and mix, i will get rid of the silence at the start and remember to use a fade out at the end of the track.

• No avatar
May 31, 2015, 11:21:59 AM
Cool mate..

Yes I'd love to hear how you went about this mix, it really did sound very good :)

As for the trimming of your audio, this was recommended to me a long time ago.. just a good thing to do.

Thanks!
Justin