News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Mixing stereo or mono ?  (Read 1185 times)

• No avatar
October 10, 2014, 04:09:47 PM
Hey guys, 
I'm having this little problem here. Recently i recorded with a friend of mine some tracks in his home studio and i asked him to export the multitracks so i could mix them in my place . The thing is that he exported everything in stereo and not in mono . Should i ask him to export them once more but in mono or should i try and mix with the stereo tracks ? Also, if we stay like this, what kind of issues and problems am i going to have ? 

Thank you !

October 10, 2014, 05:39:23 PM
Nothing about this situation could possibly turn out to be a problem!
Just pretend they are mono tracks and you are good to go. Just because it's on a stereo track doesn't mean the signal isn't still a mono signal.
What DAW are you using?

• No avatar
October 10, 2014, 06:15:09 PM
Like the guy before me pointed out, there is no problems to come of it.
But i have one issue with stereo monotracks. Im used to look at them in mono so if i het a mono signal in stereo i usually just render/export it to a mono track.

• No avatar
October 11, 2014, 09:33:10 PM
Split the tracks to mono and ditch the superflous ones.
Mono sounds rendered in stereo is no problem at all as was already mentioned but you have to bear in mind that it will double the processing power needed for each plugin you insert on those tracks

October 12, 2014, 04:53:45 PM
Split the tracks to mono and ditch the superflous ones.
Mono sounds rendered in stereo is no problem at all as was already mentioned but you have to bear in mind that it will double the processing power needed for each plugin you insert on those tracks

^Pretty much like he said.

When somebody gives me stereo tracks that are actually mono, I simply split them and delete the other one.
"You don't go to a record school to go to courses, you go to record school to record there!"
http://soundcloud.com/spede-1

October 28, 2014, 09:02:22 AM
Happens all the time when i get songs from people who use Logic Pro or Cubase =)
Zoom in and see if the l and r channels are identical, split the track into 2 mono tracks if they are, delete one channel - problem solved =)
Like globule said: the processing power needed increases alot when you are working with stereo tracks