News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Quick MIx For Your Critique  (Read 549 times)

• No avatar
July 21, 2014, 01:45:17 PM
Hi there

I pulled this tune from the Country section and took a quick stab at a mix. I am a post engineer with a music background. It has been years since I have mixed any music on a regular basis. Pleas have a listen and make suggestions of comments on the mix. I did not have the time to mess with the obvious performance issues. Interested in any and all thoughts. Cheers. Joe

August 02, 2014, 07:35:37 AM
Hi, I gotta say this is a nice punchy mix overall. I'll note first up that I'm not listening on great quality cans, but I can hear some things I thought worth a note.

Firstly, I like the punchy drums and rhtythm section thing you got going - you clearly know how to process the drums.
I think the key thing that would improve this track and let it breathe would be to back off the compression a bit. For me, this was most noticeable on the acoustic guitar - it simply didn't sound natural and it had a brittle kinda thing going on in the high end - could've been my average cans creating this. The other main thing was that the vocals need more levelling. I guess I'm saying more compression but in a different way. Another option to get the main vocal levelled could be to automate the level.

Just some thoughts and I hope you find it useful.

Kind regards
Amos (aka showpony)
Dig in!

• No avatar
August 05, 2014, 08:04:15 PM
Hi Joe, I like the way you've got everything sounding bright and punchy, I like the bass sound particularly. I thought there was a bit too much 2 bus compression but I think it's just everything is a bit too squashed and you can really hear the bass swelling in the breaks. The vocal I think needs a bit of automation as we're loosing a few words here and there and maybe a dynamic comp like the C4 of the Waves SC comp to take out a few harsh frequencies around 3-4K on the loud notes. Also maybe low pass a couple of things like BVs so they sit behind the lead a little more.
Still great work
I wish I could get drums closer to that
Burt