News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Mixoff Contest with Mike Senior - Win Mike's New Book!  (Read 199491 times)

March 22, 2011, 07:51:22 AM
Aren't we missing some back vocals in some parts?

Well spotted. It appears that we don't have the backing harmony line during the second verse. I'll chase it up with the band and post a link as soon as it's available. As far as I can tell that's the only thing that's missing, though, so otherwise you should be good to go.
Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio
A complete mixing method based around the techniques of the world's most famous producers.
Free Mixing Resources On-line!

March 22, 2011, 08:16:19 AM
Here's some more information from the band for everyone. It's a list of commercial reference tracks that they like the sound of, and which will help you reference your mix. I've provided Youtube links, but they will only work in some territories of course, so you may have to track down these songs yourselves.

Easy.  ;D
A complete mixing method based around the techniques of the world's most famous producers.

March 22, 2011, 09:32:17 AM
Piece of cake... I'm on the phone with Dave Grohl right now to schedule a re-recording of the drums and another friend of mine will be be doing the doubling of all the guitar parts for me to re-amp :)
I'm cleaning up my server, but you can find some of the mixes I did on this forum here: http://soundcloud.com/stefhartog

• No avatar
March 22, 2011, 12:37:08 PM
Here's some more information from the band for everyone. It's a list of commercial reference tracks that they like the sound of, and which will help you reference your mix. I've provided Youtube links, but they will only work in some territories of course, so you may have to track down these songs yourselves.

Easy.  ;D

Thanks for the info, saves on some guess work.

March 22, 2011, 01:03:57 PM
Aren't we missing some back vocals in some parts?

Well spotted. It appears that we don't have the backing harmony line during the second verse. I'll chase it up with the band and post a link as soon as it's available. As far as I can tell that's the only thing that's missing, though, so otherwise you should be good to go.

Just chased this up with the band, and it appears that the verse harmony vocal was all the work of the mix engineer who did the preview mix -- it was never on the band's multitracks. So if you want that line too, then it looks like you'll have to conjure it up by yourself too!

March 22, 2011, 01:54:04 PM
thx for the contest & for providing the tracks! ok...it seems i'll make the start :-)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2216927/misc/Young_Griffo_-_Blood_To_Bone_v0-20.mp3

btw, cool track!

• No avatar
March 22, 2011, 02:00:54 PM
Just chased this up with the band, and it appears that the verse harmony vocal was all the work of the mix engineer who did the preview mix -- it was never on the band's multitracks. So if you want that line too, then it looks like you'll have to conjure it up by yourself too!

Ok, thanks! Can we know who did the orignal mix?

• No avatar
March 22, 2011, 05:27:00 PM
Just tried to unzip the folder which downloaded overnight, got an error saying 'not a valid download file'...???
I'll go back to the link and try again I guess...

March 22, 2011, 06:49:42 PM
Can we know who did the orignal mix?

I believe it was fHumble fHingers.

March 22, 2011, 09:53:52 PM
ok...it seems i'll make the start :-)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2216927/misc/Young_Griffo_-_Blood_To_Bone_v0-20.mp3

Great job, karamba -- gets us off to a flying start! So here are some comments...

Just for reference in all these critiques, here's how I'm referring to the song structure:
* Intro 1 (just guitar) -- 8 bars
* Intro 2 (drum entry) -- 8 bars
* Verse 1 -- 16 bars
* Chorus 1 (instrumental) -- 16 bars
* Re-intro -- 8 bars
* Verse 2 (short) -- 8 bars
* Chorus 2 -- 16 bars
* Mid-section 1 -- 16 bars
* Mid-section 2 -- 16 bars
* Chorus 3 -- 16 bars
* Outro 16 bars

The kick has a nice controlled low end, but the high-frequency 'cut-through' works better in the choruses than in the verses -- it drives the rhythm along nicely, but feels just a bit too aggressive to me. The snare, on the other hand, seems to work a little better in the verses than the choruses, even though I like the sound of it in a general sense -- it's nice and clear, but its character begins to submerge a bit under the massed vocals and guitars. I like the guitar and bass sounds a lot, although the bass-guitar fret squeaks are a bit distracting and could be automated down. The lead vocals seem slightly too thinned out during the verses for me -- it keeps the tone clear, but somehow distances the vocal a little too much. The backing vocals feel understated in the choruses, where I think they could really open things out. The lyrics are quite indistinct during choruses, and automation might be the answer there, as well as maybe some anti-masking cuts elsewhere in the arrangement. Effects have been very tastefully used, without any of the all-too-common clutter problems. Overall tonality feels a bit more mid-scooped than the references, but I don't mind that personally.

It's testament to the quality of the overall tone and balance decisions here that my biggest criticism of this mix is that the long-term dynamics don't quite stack up. This first really niggles me at the start of the second chorus, where the entry of the vocals doesn't quite deliver what I'm hoping for in terms of emotional payoff. I'd probably do some vocal tuning to sweeten and gel the texture a bit better, which might help you fade up the vox more without losing blend. Something a bit more expansive in terms of effects there might also be an idea. My favourite bits of this mix are the two Mid-sections, which really work up a good head of steam, but the problem is that they make the energy-drop into the final chorus a lot starker, so the end of the song is left a touch disappointing.

Still, this is a great mix in most respects, and certainly flings down the gauntlet in style! Bring on the competition!