News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Mixoff Contest with Mike Senior - Win Mike's New Book!  (Read 196487 times)

April 19, 2011, 03:21:01 PM
Can you fix the link to buy the book, it's broke  ;)

Should be fixed now! Still not a master of BBcode. ;D

April 19, 2011, 07:14:30 PM
hi!
I have not made my final mix yet)
so...thank you Mike, John, Young Griffos and all the folks here!
you were very helpful!

about my only one mix. There're no samples. The mix was started on monitors and ended in headphones...

April 19, 2011, 07:37:21 PM
John: what would you say about maybe hosting a poll based on that shortlist too? The results would provide some interesting extra insight for everyone -- including the band, I'd have thought. (For the sake of practicality, though, it might make sense to have the poll thread locked against replies in some way so that we keep people's comments consolidated on this thread.)
yes, thats a great idea! maybe its beneficial here to just name the mixes like: mix1, mix2, ..., mixN  & adjust the levels so they (roughly) have equal volume/loudness & nobody is confused by the louder=better thing?
if you need help on that, pls let me know!

• No avatar
April 19, 2011, 10:32:43 PM

April 21, 2011, 09:57:36 AM
First of all, thanks to everyone for getting so involved in this competition ;D ;D ;D You're all helping to make an online educational resource that's second to none, and I've been extremely impressed by the quality and variety of all the mixes that have been posted, as well as by the friendly and constructive nature of all the thread posts.

However, a competition is a competition, and the time has come to announce the results of my first stage of judging. I deliberately left a few days gap before returning to these these mixes, and removed the track names in my comparison DAW project, so that I could try to avoid listening with too many preconceptions. My only criterion for choosing between the mixes was how well I thought they fulfilled the potential of the material within the brief provided by the band. Where appropriate I loudness-matched the mixes to try to avoid loudness affecting my decision.

Shortlist: ALivingSight, Daunt, MartinOlsson, mrtuesday, and mugo.

Very well done to you five, but I'd also like to give 'Honourable Mentions' to the following people, who made it through the first round of auditioning, even though they didn't quite reach the top five: Argle, Berk13, deejsirois, DirkZuber, essessbe, fHumble fHingaz (who provided a great original mix), fixated7, gLOW-x, GuitarZero, karumba, Loon, mlabman, and Xander.

I'll be sending the mix files to the band for their input now, although I'll make it clear to them that they're also welcome to consider any of the other mixes which might have taken their fancy. I've also just now set up a Competition Shortlist Poll so that the band can get an idea as to the general concensus of opinion on this forum if they want. At the moment my plan is to announce a winner on Monday May 2nd, depending on how long it takes the band to get all their feedback sorted.

Stay tuned! And if you get a chance to participate in the poll in the meantime, then that would be great! :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 10:57:57 AM by triviul »
Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio
A complete mixing method based around the techniques of the world's most famous producers.
Free Mixing Resources On-line!

April 21, 2011, 01:24:34 PM
It's no surprise to me that this shortlist doesn't match my own favourites at all. I knew after reading the first few critiques that Mike listened to the mixes in a very different way then me. And that's a good thing, because I wouldn't learn anything from someone who thinks exactly like me...

Now that the contest is almost over I want to say one thing though: I'm sure a better mixer would get a better result from these tracks. But I truly think that most could be gained by actually re-recording/re-producingediting it. 'Mixing' this felt more like 'fixing'. I'm not saying that to bash who-ever recorded it (I have no idea who that might be). Just want to say to the band that they could achieve much more in terms of end-result in future projects by putting more weight on those earlier stages. I hope this is taken as positive as it is intended!

I am surprised to see the mix with the vocals tuned to the wrong note in there though ;)

Thanks again Mike for your insights, John for the creating forum and Young Griffo for the tracks!
I'm cleaning up my server, but you can find some of the mixes I did on this forum here: http://soundcloud.com/stefhartog

• No avatar
April 21, 2011, 05:01:32 PM
But I truly think that most could be gained by actually re-recording/re-producingediting it. 'Mixing' this felt more like 'fixing'.

Got to say I agree. There's some overlap between mixing and production, but it can become too much IMO.

• No avatar
April 21, 2011, 06:23:08 PM
Congrats to the "final five".  I learned one very important thing from Michael, and I think it will make me a better mixer in the future, so for me it was well worth it.  That lesson:  Pay close attention to phase issues when mixing.  The other feedback was all more of a personal taste thing, which also helps, but for me the big lesson was checking mono for phase problems.  My final mix for this contest may have some issues, but it is the most phase coherent mix I've ever done.  It's all about progress.

Thanks again to all who put this on.   Fabulous effort

April 21, 2011, 06:52:26 PM
I wouldn't learn anything from someone who thinks exactly like me...
But I truly think that most could be gained by actually re-recording/re-producingediting it.
I am surprised to see the mix with the vocals tuned to the wrong note in there though ;)

Yup, time allotted to fixing took away from mixing. Some of the most interesting mixes submitted were also ones left with the most problems (pitchy vocals, timing issues, dull snare & kick, etc.)...And vice versa.  

Young Griffo, you have some great potential! Give the engineer time to mix rather than time used up fixing and guessing at production.

For the purpose of mixoff, this was a great track for becoming aware of what/when to fix and when to leave it, in order to focus more on the soundscape. Let's keep this dialogue going with other mixoffs!

• No avatar
April 21, 2011, 07:03:23 PM
Congratulations to the final five, and congratualtions to all the others, too... It was cool.