News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Mixoff Contest with Mike Senior - Win Mike's New Book!  (Read 215659 times)

• No avatar
June 20, 2011, 04:15:54 PM
Hey guys,
I just recently discovered this website. Very cool idea. Anyway, I know I'm late to the party and the contest is over, but here's my take on it anyway. If anyone cares to comment, go right ahead. Really like this song. Thanks

Carlos

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32712894/Blood2Bone_SoundOMatic_Mix.aiff

csavetman:
The vocal delay in the verses is pretty cool, but would be much more impressive if used sparsely, for example only on last senteces IMO.
The overall balance feel quite funny: It sounds like drum ambience is pretty loud in the mix, so we have like this roomy drum right in your face
and dry guitars in the back, which makes it sound little uneven. The separate instruments' sounds are fine though.

Apparently I decided to take a shot with this too, just for fun. The OP says that one shouldn't be afraid to temper with the arrangement. So did some
shortening of instrumental sections and adding some guitars to last choruses to tighten the song and to add excitement to the arrangement.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26696007/Blood_To_Bone-bounce.mp3

Hi Spede

thanks for the feedback. I did parallel compress the room mics rather heavily with the PSP vintage warmer and blended it back in underneath. Maybe I bought it in a little too much. I purposely kept the guitars pretty dry on this version to cut through a bit more. I'm not at the studio where I can listen to your version right now, but I will listen later and post some feedback. Thanks.

Carlos

• No avatar
June 20, 2011, 09:03:02 PM
Hey guys,
I just recently discovered this website. Very cool idea. Anyway, I know I'm late to the party and the contest is over, but here's my take on it anyway. If anyone cares to comment, go right ahead. Really like this song. Thanks

Carlos

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32712894/Blood2Bone_SoundOMatic_Mix.aiff

csavetman:
The vocal delay in the verses is pretty cool, but would be much more impressive if used sparsely, for example only on last senteces IMO.
The overall balance feel quite funny: It sounds like drum ambience is pretty loud in the mix, so we have like this roomy drum right in your face
and dry guitars in the back, which makes it sound little uneven. The separate instruments' sounds are fine though.

Apparently I decided to take a shot with this too, just for fun. The OP says that one shouldn't be afraid to temper with the arrangement. So did some
shortening of instrumental sections and adding some guitars to last choruses to tighten the song and to add excitement to the arrangement.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26696007/Blood_To_Bone-bounce.mp3

Hi Spede

thanks for the feedback. I did parallel compress the room mics rather heavily with the PSP vintage warmer and blended it back in underneath. Maybe I bought it in a little too much. I purposely kept the guitars pretty dry on this version to cut through a bit more. I'm not at the studio where I can listen to your version right now, but I will listen later and post some feedback. Thanks.

Carlos

Hey Spede,

mix sounds really good. Everything sounds nicely balanced. Drums sound tight with the kick and bass working well together. I like what you did with the arrangement, especially cutting short that bridge section. The added guitars at the end are a nice touch, although it may sound  just a bit cluttered to my ear. But that's more an arrangement thing than a mix issue. Overall, a really nice job.

August 17, 2011, 12:01:04 PM
If you're a Sound on Sound subscriber you might have received the September issue today.  Mike's cover article ' The 10 Biggest Mixing Mistakes and how to Avoid Them uses this mixoff as a basis for the article, and quite a number of them are referenced in it.  Looks like lots of people will benefit as well as the guys who took part, Great Work Mike !
We never finish a mix - We simply abandon them.  Adam A7's , Focusrite Pro24 DSP, Focusrite LiquidMix, Presonus FaderPort, Sennheiser HD250 Linear II

August 25, 2011, 10:13:56 PM
If you're a Sound on Sound subscriber you might have received the September issue today.  Mike's cover article ' The 10 Biggest Mixing Mistakes and how to Avoid Them uses this mixoff as a basis for the article, and quite a number of them are referenced in it.  Looks like lots of people will benefit as well as the guys who took part!

Thanks for posting about that -- beat me to it! :) Also, stay tuned for next month's issue too, where I've remixed another very similar Young Griffo song called 'Facade' for Mix Rescue...
Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio
A complete mixing method based around the techniques of the world's most famous producers.
Free Mixing Resources On-line!

August 26, 2011, 02:48:33 PM
I just bought and D/L'd the article (US$1.49) - ver' cool!

I shall be a-studying ...

• No avatar
September 09, 2011, 06:10:37 PM
Love the book

Question about this song. (And sorry if it was addressed in a previous page but I didn't want to read all 30 or so)

Isn't there a bunch of noise on the left channel at the open?  Was leaving this there part of the deal?
Equipment-Trends Micro amp w/ Paradigm Export speakers ports covered.  Use Fx EQ for  studio room issue fix.  Also use Klipsch S4 & Sennheiser HD-280 phones - home stereo= AMC 3030 tube amp, Triangle Celius 202 speakers & Behringer para EQ for room nodes-laptop=HP 8430 w/Digigram VXPocket & Reaper

• No avatar
September 11, 2011, 09:44:18 PM
I just finished the article, listening to the songs and reading the comments. 

First - Mike you sir have the patience of Job.  You did a lot of work, treated people with respect and took the time to try to help a lot of people. You are a good man (Love the book)

I gotta say, and there is no way this comes off good because I am not a credentialed producer etc, But I am SURPRISED at truly how bad most of these sound and not how dead on - every single time - Mike is, but how easy it was for him. (Yes I am going to post a version here myself. I just found out about all of this). I would have thought people who thought they were good enough to post on a thread like this would all be good and the differences would be matters of taste and subjectivity. NOPE - the problems are VERY easy to hear.  Given that I think there is a huge major root cause. The underlying problem is that people are getting used to crappy audio (while they crave better quality video).  Our reference for what good audio sounds like is rapidly changing for the worst.  Yes I am an audiophile but I am not suggesting one only listen to music recorded without amplification or that people spend their life's savings on equipment.  But clearly something has to be done.  I have one high end system, two sets of headphones and my monitoring system and each, while different, would have allowed me to come to the exact same conclusion.  Why? because I have educated myself on what sounds like what and what sounds good. And most importantly I take the time, especially with room systems, to engineer the room as well as the system correctly.  An OK system in a great sounding room and set up always crushes an incredible system in an average or poor room - especially below 300hz and reflection issues like comb filtering.  While everyone has different tastes in music and how things can or should sound the majority of the music in this thread is nowhere close enough to what sounds good to argue those points.  Yes it sounds elitist and this direct and straight talk should be coming from a verified professional in the business.  BUT let me say this. Even in the "high end" industry and even, believe it or not, most musicians and recording professionals have no idea what sounds good either because their equipment and rooms are crap too.  But the issue is not that they can't understand what good or right is. I would BET it is because they have literally NEVER been exposed or educated on what I am talking about.  it is not an issue of intelligence or desire. It is an issue of EXPOSURE.

If you made it this far in my post and can get passed the directness, the fact that I am not someone in the business, your own ego to some degree please AT THE VERY LEAST be open for a second to the fact that I MAY be right.  And if you can do that take a shot at experiencing what I am talking about.  (A long time ago I thought I had my crap together too. Hell I even used to repair and align stereo equipment.  Then after a while equipment came in I never heard of - NAD, McIntosh, Spica etc.  I thought my Carver, JBL etc were it.  While those companies have made some good stuff it was the companies that i never heard of who made the great stuff, it doesn't have to cost much more and if set up right - WHICH IS MOST IMPORTANT- can result in huge differences.

There are so few people, professional or otherwise, that get this right that I would have no idea where to send you. Hell even most high end stereo stores sound like crap.  The best I can suggest is a good pair of headphones.  Most of the issues experienced in this thread would be caught by them.  And after you get a pair I would like to suggest you listen to some specific music - listed below. As for headphones there are a bunch of good ones.  Cost is usually, though not always, somewhat proportional to quality.  I have Sennheiser 280s (which I think are a tad bass light) and the amazing Klipsch S-4s which are a tad bass heavy.  The last tip I will give you, and Mike covers all of this great in his book, is to listen in nearfield to eliminate as much of the room as possible. If you equipment is OK and you can't treat your room this will help.  AND unless you know what good sounds like or ran sweeps (assuming you have not identified a specific hearing loss issue) do this listening with everything flat tone control wise. (Oh yeah - and listen loud enough for it all to "pop" in. You can tell. There is a volume where most music sounds right. Too low and due to your bell curve hearing too much is missed)

Music - I tried to very my taste and admit there isn't too much new stuff I play
Cowboy Junkies - Trinity Sessions - DAT recorder with one mic. Amazing. The tone is right and you can hear the room they are in.  Has to be the best minimalist recording ever - or darn close to it. This one is a must. 

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Texas Flood - song Tin Pan Alley - The drums are processed a bit much but loud there impact is amazing

Xavier Rudd - Dark Shades of Blue - songs Dark Water and Dark Shades of Blue

Steely Dan - Two Against Nature and  Everything Must Go

Mermen - most of their stuff is great but try Food for Other Fishes

Tracy Chapman - first album self titled

Paul Speer and Scott Rockenfield - Hell's Canyon - High end is a tough recessed but it's amazing instrumental rock and sounds great cranked

Chris Rea - Road to Hell

Rush - Moving Pictures and Snakes and Arrows

And the wining songs from this thread/contest. Again you don't have to like them but you do need to understand how and WHY they won and sound good.

And to be fair since I have opened my big mouth HUGE here I am providing a link to some songs I created.  Some are just NINJAM jams I tweaked and others are originals. Like I said I will post the song from this thread here so to put my capabilities where my mouth is. (Unfortunately these are Mp3s. The wavs will sound better but not result in a drastic earth shattering difference)

http://www.icompositions.com/artists/imispgh
Equipment-Trends Micro amp w/ Paradigm Export speakers ports covered.  Use Fx EQ for  studio room issue fix.  Also use Klipsch S4 & Sennheiser HD-280 phones - home stereo= AMC 3030 tube amp, Triangle Celius 202 speakers & Behringer para EQ for room nodes-laptop=HP 8430 w/Digigram VXPocket & Reaper

• No avatar
September 11, 2011, 09:49:25 PM
I just recently entered another remix contest.  I think this one sounds pretty good - better than the artists original actually. Having said that though his is very good and the difference is a matter of taste.

At least one of my flaws is trying to have a bit too much clarity. But you can be the judge. Oh - and I don't deal with timing issues unless they are gross.  I am not a fan of perfection in spite of my comments here.  Humans should sound like humans.

And please do not vote for me.  I truly don't want to solicit votes etc. that is not the purpose of my sending you to this link.

http://www.talenthouse.com/creativeinvites/preview/ae19f77d34ff00cdf82daf46aaba93c5/302

• No avatar

• No avatar
September 15, 2011, 08:48:03 PM