News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: New room - Mix Crit Pls - First mix since reading Mike Seniors Book !  (Read 6223 times)

November 15, 2011, 04:52:16 PM
Haha, that happens sometimes!

Of course, they may just be used to that version, I'd ask them to give it a day or two, then decide.

It could be something as simple as relative volumes that is making them think the other one cut better.

It's their record, of course, so you have to respect their opinion!

• No avatar
November 16, 2011, 03:55:09 PM
Believe it or not a crappy PC mic works pretty well. Or a drum mic? Each gets you real close especially since most issues are 50hz-300hz.

Tuning the first reflection points and bass below 300hz is crucial. (And don't forget ceiling and platform/desk bounce)

I actually created and inverse filter I put on my master out.  I measured below 300hz then created an opposing filter. (I just have to remember to turn it off before render) Traps would be best but they aren't cheap and a DSP from just one listening position works good)

Your song sounds good.
Equipment-Trends Micro amp w/ Paradigm Export speakers ports covered.  Use Fx EQ for  studio room issue fix.  Also use Klipsch S4 & Sennheiser HD-280 phones - home stereo= AMC 3030 tube amp, Triangle Celius 202 speakers & Behringer para EQ for room nodes-laptop=HP 8430 w/Digigram VXPocket & Reaper

November 16, 2011, 10:16:53 PM
New Mix !

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/1287769436/2d7044cb3666ef5164bf4702e1572622?cid=tx-02002207350200000000&s=19104

I still feel like that high tom is sticking out a lot, like a roto tom, or something! I realize it might be hard to work around it

Multed the Tom tracks and gated them so I could eq them on their own terms, and then used the 'original' tracks to help the snare with automation muting the tom hits.

I kind of felt like the kick and snare could come up a touch, they're not hitting quite as hard as I'd like. Not a huge thing, though.

Set up another buss with a transient enhancer and sent some of the drum buss to it. It was only a real small amount but seemed to help. There was a bit too much high end enhancement so I low pass filtered the return so it didn't poke out so much.

The last suggestion would be a bit mroe reverb on the 'oooh, oooh' part of the bridge. Give a little more contrast and push that back away from the listener, so when the main vocal comes in, it's got a little more impact.

Done that too although since I lowered the reverb return levels it doesn't seem to push it back that far  ::)  It may be enough though, maybe I just like reverb more than I should  ;D

I'd agree with John that a sample layered with the snare might help to fill out its upper frequencies, because it does sound a little dull tonally.

I was hoping to aviod that , partly because I don't have a drum replacement plugin and secondly the drummer lives in Alaska and fights bears in his time  :)  I think I've managed to get more brightness now, see if you think it's enough. I used a passive style eq in the hope that a huge boost with that type of plugin wouldn't sound overly harsh. I also used it to put a touch more bite back into the guitars at 8k to satisfy the band so hopefully it hasn't upset the balance. I was wondering if there was anything else I could try to with the snare to fill it out if samples aren't an option, some kind of short gated reverb maybe ?

You might need to duck the vocal delay a bit, or else put in a bit more automation

I decided to go the automation route, see what you think now.

Finally, I think I'd probably give the vocals a bit of tweak as far as tuning is concerned, because I'm finding it a bit distracting that it's sour a times when the balance is working so well around it.

Done that too, hopefully haven't 'overdone' it.

Also while I was at it I rode up the other little twiddly guitar bit near the end. Give it it's little ' Spotlight ' moment

CD

We never finish a mix - We simply abandon them.  Adam A7's , Focusrite Pro24 DSP, Focusrite LiquidMix, Presonus FaderPort, Sennheiser HD250 Linear II

November 17, 2011, 12:29:41 AM
I like the overall tonality now a lot!

I think the toms sound much better, much less distracting to me.

The only thing I'm noticing is the cymbals (hihat in particular) seem a little sibilant to me (I'm listening on phones, so take that with a grain of salt.) You might try boosting the cymbals a little around 6k, then rolling the highs out a bit. Make them a little more ring-y and less sizzly, if that makes sense? (that's something I hear Andy Wallace is fond of.)

I think you're damn close to finished mix!

November 17, 2011, 11:23:00 AM
I like the overall tonality now a lot!

Cool, thanks John - The band all seem to like this version the most too.

I think the toms sound much better, much less distracting to me.

Yes, fiddly but well worth the effort

The only thing I'm noticing is the cymbals (hihat in particular) seem a little sibilant to me (I'm listening on phones, so take that with a grain of salt.) You might try boosting the cymbals a little around 6k, then rolling the highs out a bit. Make them a little more ring-y and less sizzly, if that makes sense? (that's something I hear Andy Wallace is fond of.)

Me too, they sound fine on my nearfields, but maybe the ribbon tweeters are making them sound smoother than they translate elsewhere ? I still find them a bit OTT on my headphones which are more forward sounding...although I also find that with some commercial stuff.  I'll try something with them, there's already a dynamic eq on the cymbal mic track because once he started hitting them a bit harder they seemed to get out of control.

I was wondering whether just a bit of a master eq notch might reign it in enough , we'll see what Mike thinks and the best way to tackle it, I think one more night on it should wrap it up  :)

CD
We never finish a mix - We simply abandon them.  Adam A7's , Focusrite Pro24 DSP, Focusrite LiquidMix, Presonus FaderPort, Sennheiser HD250 Linear II

November 21, 2011, 10:17:56 AM
The drummer has recently bought a pair of Empirical Labs Distressors so I asked him to pass the whole mix through them at a gentle setting to see if taking it 'out of the box' could impart any further improvement.

I've also blocked up the bass ports on my A7's , it's surprising how much clarity you get by doing it - I think I just need to get used to the low end with them like this now for a while, been listening to some reference tracks. I'll probably try my next mix with them like this.

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/1291682140/1a2fa89efd1db5394482a0cd4f33d743?cid=tx-02002207350200000000&s=19104

Full wav file this time.

CD

• No avatar
November 21, 2011, 02:51:04 PM
I've also blocked up the bass ports on my A7's , it's surprising how much clarity you get by doing it - I think I just need to get used to the low end with them like this now for a while, been listening to some reference tracks. I'll probably try my next mix with them like this.

Have you had the opportunity to measure 300hz and below at the listening position?  Blocking the port was a net positive but the unintended consequence may be you roll off earlier etc.  Knowing what you have down there is crucial.
Equipment-Trends Micro amp w/ Paradigm Export speakers ports covered.  Use Fx EQ for  studio room issue fix.  Also use Klipsch S4 & Sennheiser HD-280 phones - home stereo= AMC 3030 tube amp, Triangle Celius 202 speakers & Behringer para EQ for room nodes-laptop=HP 8430 w/Digigram VXPocket & Reaper

November 21, 2011, 04:40:22 PM

Have you had the opportunity to measure 300hz and below at the listening position?  Blocking the port was a net positive but the unintended consequence may be you roll off earlier etc.  Knowing what you have down there is crucial.

Not yet but I have found the measurement Mic, and also the Xmas tree in the loft. I just need to re-install some measurement software if anyone has any good freebie suggestions.

CD

• No avatar
November 21, 2011, 04:51:37 PM
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/47461-v5-10-beta-release-asio-support.html

You can run the sweep part (Measure) of it or just run the RTA with pink noise.

November 22, 2011, 05:35:17 PM
Thanks, I've downloaded it.